Charlie House Children's Community Nurse
The Charlie House children's community nurse role is to work alongside families with children who have multiple, complex care needs, life-limiting or life-threatening conditions. This can be through providing practical nursing care, offering advice and support or visiting children and families in many different settings e.g. at school, at home, in hospital or respite care.
The Charlie House nurse will work with families to ensure that they feel confident and supported with the child’s individual care needs, listened to by professionals and involved and included in any important decisions they may have to make.
The Charlie House nurse can help families with a variety of different things based on their individual needs, such as:
- Teaching and supporting families with Nasogastric, jejunostomy and gastrostomy feeding and tube care
- Providing practical nursing care at home
- Giving support through practical information and signposting
- A point of call if the parent/carer has concerns about any aspect of the child’s care or condition
- Assessment of the child and their changing needs
- Liaise with members of the hospital team regarding the child’s care and on transition from hospital to home
- Liaise with the child’s school, GP and other professionals involved in their care
- Symptom management in the community
- Provide skilled nursing care to minimise hospital attendances or admissions and facilitate early discharge
- To be an advocate for the child and the families and attend Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) meetings
- Help through times of transition
- Support families in compiling specialist planning documents such as Anticipatory Care Plan (ACP) and Child and Young Person’s Acute Deterioration Management (CYPADM)
- Provide support through end-of-life care and bereavement
How To Get Support from Charlie House
If you are looking for support for your family for any of our services, you can let us know by completing a referral, this can be done by yourself or with support from a health professional on your behalf.
If you are in hospital with your child, and you have completed our referral process, you can request for the Charlie House children's community nurse to visit you on the ward, they can be contacted as follows:
e:mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
phone - 01224 551829